Monday, April 27, 2009

Blogging out of Frustration

This past week I went to the movies at Showplace 16. At the time it was 10pm and when I was getting out of the car I saw a black couple walking into the theatre with a car seat that had in it probably not any older than 2 month old baby. My first reaction was I cannot believe they are bringing that baby out to a theatre this late at night. But then I thought, who am I to judge I cannot even imagine being home all the time. Well when my boyfriend and I walked into to get our tickets, this couple was right in front of us. This is when a white man came up to the couple and said "I am sorry but our theatre policy is that we do not allow anyone in the theatre under 7 years old after 9 pm" and the women said "Are you f-ing kidding me, he's an infant, he cannot even talk!!" and the man continued to apologize and said it was their policy and there was not anything he could do. She then responded with "That's why I hate f-ing white people" and walked away saying things I could not hear. I was disgusted, why did she have to take it to a race issue. It had nothing to to with the color of her skin it was the theatre's policy!

2 comments:

  1. This was interesting. Honestly, I think people are always trying to make excuses for themselves and blame the other person. I'm sure if the theater manager had been a black guy the woman would've called him something else, just as degrading. Very interesting though. Seriously, though, there are so many reasons why you shouldn't bring an infant into a movie theatre...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki, this is so crazy! I feel like comments like that really do a lot to contribute to the "Nation of Cowards" we live in. When hostile comments like that are made, by people of all races, it sure does make race an uncomfortable topic to approach. So unfortunate :( Hope you enjoyed your movie though! haha.

    ReplyDelete